On March 8, 2020, the Texas Senior Games for cycling were held at Pace Bend Park, near Austin. The club was enthusiastically represented by cyclists and supporters, and did well in qualifications for the next National Games, which will be held in Fort Lauderdale, FL, in November 2021, although exact dates for the cycling events are yet to be decided.
- Kathy Garrett won both the 40 km and 20 km road races in her age group and qualified for the Nationals.
- Liz McGlynn finished fourth in the 40 km road race and third in the 10 km time trial and qualified for the Nationals again. Liz is on the right here.
- Sabrina Strawn won her 20 km road race and also qualified in the 5 km time trial. Sabrina is on the right here.
- Diane Truong won her 5 km time trail and qualified. Here she is on the top step.
- Mechtilde Willumsen won her 10 km time trial in the 75-79 age group and once again qualified for the Nationals. Here she is.
- Mike Hogan won his 40 km road race and was 3rd in his 10 km time trial but, regrettably, we have no photos of him.
- Duane Erhardt was third in his 20 km road race and qualified; here he is on the right.
- Geoff Donnelly finished second in both his time trails and qualified for the Nationals again.
These games are lots of fun. The club often coordinates a hotel for participants so that we can enjoy each others’ company and socialise, tell stories of our races and how we should have done better over a glass of wine or two.
If you have interest in being competitive to any degree, or just having fun with like-minded cyclists, please get in touch with Carl Grasshoff, our Senior Games Coordinator, through the website.