Club Bylaws for Northwest Cycling Club
These are the Club Bylaws for Northwest Cycling Club. The club bylaws specify the name and purpose of the organization as well as the rules that operate it.
The name of the organization shall be the Northwest Cycling Club, Inc (“NWCC“). The club colors shall be yellow, black, and purple.
The purpose of NWCC is to:
- encourage and support recreational and competitive cycling activities;
- educate cyclists in the different areas of the sport of cycling;
- educate and promote safe cycling practices;
- encourage and support public cycling facilities and programs, such as bike paths, bike trails, educational courses, Alkek Velodrome, or other public cycling activities.
Membership is open to individuals and families who desire to promote the purposes of NWCC in the following categories:
- Individual Dues: $30/year or as recommended by the Board of Directors
- Family Dues: $40/year or as recommended by the Board of Directors
- A family is defined as two or more people (including children) residing at the same residence
- Junior Dues: Must be registered under a Family Membership, and if under 18 years old, parent/guardian signature required
- Each Individual membership shall have one vote at General Meetings. Each Family membership shall have two votes at General Meetings.
- Any revisions or changes to the Membership Dues will be approved by the Board of Directors and presented at the next club meeting for a General Club Members vote.
- Each member must sign an NWCC waiver of liability.
- Membership period runs from January 1st to December 31st, and each membership shall be valid during this period from the date of activation.
- Each member shall abide by applicable traffic laws, rules, and regulations while engaged in an NWCC-sponsored riding or racing activity.
- No member may use, distribute, or possess any illegal substance or drug; possess a concealed weapon, unless licensed to carry as defined by federal, state or local Laws; or display a weapon while engaged in an NWCC- sponsored event, including a riding or racing activity.
Membership may be terminated for cause for any act that is detrimental to the interests and benefit of NWCC or violates any NWCC policy or procedure. Such termination shall require the affirmative vote of 2/3 of the Board of Directors. For each termination the President and Board of Directors shall set forth procedures as may be appropriate under the circumstances to ensure fairness to both NWCC and to the member subject to termination.
- General Meeting
General Meetings of the members of NWCC shall be held on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. The meeting location will be determined and announced by the Board of Directors via an approved method, i.e. email distribution, social media, website or other electronic means.
- Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall have a Regular Meeting at least once a month at the direction of the President or the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors may also have a Special Meeting of the Board of Directors at the direction of any elected officer or any member of the Board of Directors to address special situations or circumstances. A Special Meeting may be in person or by proxy which shall be either in writing or by email detailing each director’s vote on issues presented and delivered to the Secretary.
- Annual Meeting & Election of Officers
The Annual Meeting and Election of Officers shall be held at the regularly scheduled General Meeting for the month of November.
Officers & Election of Officers
The elected officers of NWCC shall be the office of President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
The duties of the Officers shall be:
- President – Presides at General Meetings of NWCC and meetings of the Board of Directors; is responsible for the general management and fundraising activities of NWCC; may establish policies and procedures for the implementation of any NWCC activity and function.
- Vice President – Assists the President in carrying out NWCC activities and serves in his absence.
- Treasurer – Handles all NWCC financial transactions and maintains all NWCC financial records; prepares a financial statement for each meeting of the Board of Directors; and presents a summary of the financial condition of NWCC at each general meeting of NWCC.
- Secretary – Takes and maintains minutes of general meetings of NWCC and meetings of the Board of Directors; maintain records of club business and correspondence.
Election of NWCC Officers
Election of NWCC officers shall be held at the Annual Meeting. Nominations for each office will be called for at the October General Meeting with all nominations to be published in the NWCC newsletter or other approved method prior to the Annual Meeting. Each officer shall be elected by a majority of voting members present at the Annual Meeting, or by other approved methods, up to and including electronic voting. Officers shall serve from December 1 of the year of election through November 30 of the following year.
A vacancy during the term of any office may be filled by appointment by the President with the concurrence of the Board of Directors. If a vacancy occurs in the office of President the Vice President shall assume the office of President.
No person shall occupy more than one elected office at any one time.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall be composed of all elected NWCC officers, Chairpersons of all Standing Committees, the Immediate Past President of NWCC, and the NWCC Sponsor Representative.
A quorum for a meeting of the Board of Directors shall be “3” or more Elected Officers and “6” or more Committee or other Board Members.
Business requiring a vote by the Board of Directors shall require a majority approval of at least “3” Elected Officers and at least “6” of any combination of Committee Directors, Immediate Past President or Sponsor Representative, which will constitute a quorum, and such vote shall be considered the act of the Board of Directors.
Additional item – each Board Member gets “1” vote. Must be present to vote.
In the event that a quorum is not present for a meeting of the Board of Directors, the Board shall conduct any other business that may come before it that does not require a vote for approval by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors may establish any number of Standing Committees to manage and carry out any ongoing NWCC activity. Each Standing Committee shall report to the Board of Directors. The President shall appoint a Chairperson for each Standing Committee who shall then become a member of the Board of Directors and serve the same term as the NWCC elected officers. Each Chairperson of a Standing Committee may appoint committee members as needed.
The Standing Committees shall include but not be limited to
- Blue Bonnet Express Committee
- Katy Flatlands Committee
- Racing Team Committee
- No-Drop Ride Committee
- Equipment Committee
- Volunteer Committee
- Membership Committee
- Newsletter Committee
- Rider Safety Committee
- Mountain Bike Committee
- Webmaster Committee
- Special Committees
Any number of Special Committees for any special purpose may be established by the President as needed. Each Special Committee shall report to the President and shall dissolve on the completion of the work of the committee.
Budget and Financial Matters
At the beginning of each Fiscal Year, each Standing Committee shall prepare a budget of revenues and expenses for the Fiscal Year for submission to the President. The President shall then prepare a Proposed Budget for all NWCC activities and submit the Proposed Budget to the Board of Directors. After approval by the Board of Directors, a description of the Proposed Budget shall be included in the next NWCC newsletter and the Proposed Budget shall be presented at the next General Meeting following publication.
The Proposed Budget shall be shall be voted on and if approved by a majority vote of the members present, shall be the Final Budget for the Fiscal Year. The President shall have the power to establish policies and procedures as needed for the implementation of the Final Budget.
The President and the Treasurer each shall have authority to sign individually checks drawn on NWCC accounts.
Any two elected officers shall have the power, without approval of the Board of Directors or the general membership, to make expenditures of $250.00 or less for extraordinary expenses that are deemed to be in the best interests of NWCC and not included in the Final Budget. The Board of Directors shall have the power to make expenditures of $1000.00 or less without the approval of the general membership that are deemed to be in the best interests of NWCC and not included in the Final Budget. All other expenditures require the approval of the Board of Directors and the general membership.
The NWCC fiscal year shall begin on the first day of December and shall end on the last day of November of the following year.
At the discretion of the Board of Directors, NWCC may become an affiliate of other cycling related organizations which may include but are not limited to:
- The League of American Bicyclists (LAB)
- USA Cycling (USAC)
- The National Off Road Bicycle Association (NORBA)
- Texas Bicycle Racing Association (TXBRA)
- Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association (TMBRA)
- The Texas Bicycle Coalition
Any proposed amendment shall be approved at a meeting of the Board of Directors and published in the NWCC newsletter prior to a General Meeting whereupon the proposed amendment maybe approved by a 2/3 vote of the membership present, or by other Board of Director approved voting methods.
Membership Has Its Privileges
Come Ride With Us!
"The Northwest Cycling Club was founded in 1986 and continues to be a part of the cycling community in Houston, TX. We are here to support cyclists from beginners to racers, with something for all ages!"
17464 Northwest Fwy
Houston, TX 77040